Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Cedar Waxwing in Town Center


I have seen photos of cedar waxwings taken at Centennial Park in the county, and I've photographed a pair at Bombay Hook in Delaware. Yesterday, one showed up mixing with the American robins in the holly bush outside my window and feeding on the berries. I had never seen waxwings in the neighborhood before.




Above is the first photo I managed of the bird after it flew away then landed on a branch nearby.



The waxwing was moving with a huge number of American robins that came through the neighborhood yesterday. Robins and any of their friends mixing with them, like the waxwing, are not interested in most bird feeder fare. They were here for the fruit on hollies and other trees and shrubs. A couple of them did come to my heated bird bath for a drink.