Monday, July 13, 2015

weekend butterfly counting continued


Before I begin photos for Sunday's counting, here are some bonuses from this morning. First, the photo above is a fun capture with my compact camera of one of the "black" swallowtails (spicebush?) feeding on gladiolus in a neighborhood garden. Then I stopped at the edge of the lake near a park bench on my walk and found three tiger swallowtails on this bush. The third photo here has all three in view. That's a good count on one bush for a species of large butterfly in Town Center this year.

[Edited for plant and butterfly species confirmed by experts in the survey. See brackets. The butterfly above is a spicebush swallowtail -- orange spot missing from the row on the hind wing.]




This is a bush I'd like to identify, as it seems to attract more butterflies than some others. Is it native or not? Did it spring up here from seed naturally, or was it planted? I see it growing right on the shore of the lake. Also see another species at the end of this post which attracts butterflies.

[The shrub here is common buttonbush, native to North America.]

~~~~~~~~
See my preceding post for photos from late last week. Continuing with Sunday here:


On the purple coneflowers at the little park on Vantage Point Road, I found a monarch feeding.


Butterfly bush on the margin of the Kittamaqundi Community Church parking lot: An unidentified skipper (Zabulon male?) and a silver-spotted skipper. Until now, I had seen only cabbage whites on the ornamental butterfly bushes in my neighborhood this year.

Following photos are from the wetland and sewer line easement area off the north end of Lake Kittamaqundi:



I usually see one or two red admirals during one of my counting walks. Today, I saw five in this area.



What butterfly enthusiasts call an LBJ -- hard-to-identify Little Brown Job. I'm guessing a species of duskywing. [wild indigo duskywing]



There were a few pearl crescents around. (I have a more exact number on my survey form for the month.)



Another eastern tiger swallowtail!

 


A more elusive red admiral. As I returned along the track, I had another chance at this one (below).



A viceroy which has seen some action. (I saw another large orange butterfly here, but it could have been either monarch or viceroy.)



The red admiral settled down. On the invasive wavy basket grass, which is all over the place in this area.


Eastern tailed blue with wings open while resting.



And what kind of a skipper is this one? It was smaller than the other grass skippers I've been seeing, but I don't think it's a least skipper. (I hope to add confirmed identifications after the survey leaders have looked at these photos.) [Yes, it is a least skipper.]


Finally, some pollinators in the garden of Oakland Manor:

 

I'd like to find out what type of bush this is. It's flowers draw the butterflies like flies. There is another planting of it at the lake which I have been photographing. [bottlebrush buckeye, native to southeastern United States -- identified in Maryland Biodiversity Project online]