Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hawk and Prey


Multiple views of the same scene, but I decided to document all poses (plus different effects of light) rather than try to pick the best shots. Monday evening on Vantage Point Road in Columbia Town Center, right by the junction with 175 (just after my first sighting of the Eastern Comma butterfly in previous post). I heard the smaller bird squealing as it was caught -- couldn't see whether the hawk caught it in flight or came up from behind while it was perched. Cooper's or Sharp-Shinned hawk? I am going with Cooper's based on what looks like a broader white edge on the tail, but I will confirm identification with an authority.

As the hawk was feeding, a blue jay perched close to the top of the same tree and began sounding the alarm. The hawk eventually flew somewhere else with its meal.