Saturday, September 28, 2013

blog title change ~ recent lake snapshots


For reasons technical and personal, I've been posting less text and more photos on this blog. I'd like to keep the blog going in some form and maintain all my links to local resources for classical music and the arts in general, so I'm changing the blog title and keeping that list of links in the margin. There still might be the occasional post with a playlist or personal musing about a performance or exhibit.

I try to avoid defending or explaining my photographs when I post them, but let me say here that I don't pretend that they are technically as masterful as some of the brilliant photography I'm seeing online elsewhere. I might get better, but for now I like to do a lot of pointing and shooting with reliance on natural light and shadow for effect and with almost no manipulation of camera settings other than zoom. Later, on the desktop, I often crop for better composition. Currently, I switch back and forth between two cameras: a fairly new compact digital with high resolution and a larger secondhand digital camera with medium resolution and a narrower default wide-angle setting. Back in the 1990's, I had some practice with a 35mm SLR film camera and coaching from other photographers.