Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hocoblogs and Stormwater Playlist


I just had dinner for the first time at Union Jack's in Columbia Town Center and hope to be back there for the Hocoblogs party on February 26. See the details on hocoblogs.com (also linked in my blog margin). I started to register on the Eventbrite page, but I really hate filling out forms on the Internet. So I hope I can be a walk-in at the party, and I look forward to meeting other bloggers and readers in the Hocoblogs network.


Stormwater run-off management is an issue now getting more attention in Columbia and Howard County. The county is preparing to levy a stormwater fee and encourage residents to landscape and garden with run-off control in mind. My condominium and my own unit have some serious run-off problems, and I've been working on a rain garden in my back patio area. There's a big meeting addressing this issue at Slayton House in Wilde Lake tomorrow evening.

So this is a classical music blog, and I have to lead into one of my regular playlists here. For the classical music blog network, some recordings that have been on my CD player lately....

~ While browsing the collection last night, my fingers stumbled on DG's remasters of conductor Hans Rosbaud's eclectic recording legacy. I listened to the disc of Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 4 and two Haydn symphonies (the Oxford and the London). Other discs in the set cover Beethoven, Boris Blacher, Stravinsky and a whole disc of Sibelius.

~ More Arensky and Taneyev, mainly the symphonies by these two contemporaries and students of Rimsky-Korsakov and Tchaikovsky. Chandos recordings. They might make us think about what makes those better known composers geniuses, but there are gems in the music of the minor Russian composers. I have to revisit Arensky's lovely Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky, which celebrate the poignant melody of Tchaikovsky's song dealing with the Legend of the rose. However, on revisiting the recording of Boris Christoff singing this song, I'm afraid there might be some 19th century Jewish-Christian religious conflict mixed into the Russian lyrics.

~ Daniele Gatti's survey of Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 4, 5 and 6 with selected shorter orchestral works on each disc. Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Harmonia Mundi. (The Romeo and Juliette Overture has been ringing in my ears since I listened to the performance in this set.)

~ Coincidentally, soon after buying the Gatti and RPO Tchaikovsky set, I happened to pull out the EMI remaster of Sir Thomas Beecham and the RPO playing French ballet music.

~ The Phantasm viol ensemble's new recording of the complete viol consort music of William Byrd. Absorbing and very relaxing, whether one is concentrating on the music or playing the disc for background. Obligatory companion to Phantasm's earlier disc of music by Orlando Gibbons.

///Unlabeled photos in my posts are usually snapshots taken in the environs of Lake Kittamaqundi here in Columbia Town Center.///