Monday, April 9, 2012

Planet Ollie: July 2007 (and status 2; a cat's playlist)

(I didn't notice the vine growing through the old patio slider and threatening to creep up on Ollie until I saw it in this picture.)

Let me continue to post photos of him for a while, and maybe the frequency will drop off later. He'll always be our host here, and some of his friends are enjoying these photos. (The blog also is turning out to be a good place to save extra copies of the better pictures.) For some reason, Ollie's absence really hit me hard this past weekend -- maybe I'm recalling how things were this time last year before the illness struck. Anyway, as I started cleaning up the house for traces of the illness, I knew it was still too early to adopt another cat (as mentioned in my previous post). The house can scream a little longer for a cat, and perhaps a friendly little grey ghost will calm it until another cat moves in.

~~ Some time early last month, while I still thought Ollie would be here for a while, he enjoyed the bird song that breaks out in part of Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" (broadcast over the radio on WBJC). A similar effect during Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" has entranced him in the past.

~~ Not so with Maria Callas, however! I put on a collection of arias sung by Callas while Ollie was snoozing last month, and -- I don't know what Callas did, but around track 4 of the disc, Ollie suddenly looked up with a most annoyed look on his face in the direction of the stereo. It was the same look he made while watching me stir-burn something in the kitchen a few years ago. I immediately turned the stereo off. I'd never seen him react to the singing voice like that before. Usually he seemed to ignore everything but certain sound effects in opera recordings. Well, maybe Callas isn't for everyone.

~~ Malcolm Arnold's "A Grand, Grand Festival Overture". Ollie always was fascinated by the sound of the vacuum cleaner section, otherwise not interested in the rest of Arnold's orchestra. And his head would jerk in time with the gunshots at the ending as he looked towards the stereo. (Arnold was parodying modern music in this work.)

~~ The drawn-out shout that begins "Rhumba De Burros" in the "Strictly Ballroom" soundtrack used to bring Ollie running to find out who else was in the house. He knew that I never let loose like that!