Sunday, February 12, 2012

update on Ollie ~ successful movie night

For friends of Ollie who have been looking here for photos and updates about him: I'll try to continue posting photos, but this is just a quick post without a photo. In spite of cancer all over his intestine now (and who knows where else), he is doing very well. Friday, I decided to have an impromptu movie night that evening and contacted a few friends on very short notice that day. Three came over, and we made it a pizza night, too. We watched the 1939 "Stagecoach" in the recent Criterion Collection DVD release. Ollie, of course, loves having visitors and he's great at parties. He was in top form Friday night. On the bad side, I couldn't let him sit in their laps because of his condition, and the smell of forbidden pizza was a torment for him (so I plied him with a few of his safe treats -- and not to worry: Ollie still gets plenty of time on my lap).

One evening earlier in the week, Ollie drew my attention to a bat hanging behind a curtain in a spare room upstairs. Last thing I need now is a bat in the house with Ollie in his compromised condition. I had to "get rid of it" quickly, and it might have been dead already, for all I know. (This was the second bat we've found in this house, the first one a couple of years ago being carted off alive but in a weakened state to an animal shelter.)

There might be more movie nights with Ollie, though I have to keep an eye on how he's doing and invite people on short notice.