Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ollie is quite well...

I know that Ollie, my cat, has cancer, but he doesn't know that he has cancer. It's hard to believe that about a month ago it looked like he would be gone very soon and that right now daily doses of steroid and laxative are keeping him going. Lots of love and extra spoiling also help. Oh, and if we could have some sunny days now and then -- lounging in sunlight seems to have a therapeutic effect, but I should add that this cat likes watching snow, too.

He sleeps or snoozes more than he used to. On the other hand, he'll surprise me by suddenly clambering around atop the fridge and kitchen cabinets. Yesterday afternoon, I caught him tossing and bopping one of his toy mice around in a way I had not seen for a very long time, even long before the recent diagnosis.

I have let several musical events slip by while dealing with my own anxiety over leaving Ollie alone too much. This afternoon, I'm going to try a foray into Baltimore, brunch at City Cafe and a vocal recital at An die Musik. Or I might just stay home with him. I've learned that it's just as important to spend time with him on his good days as well as his bad days.