Sunday, November 20, 2011

status

Ollie is lounging in my lap right now. Something that's been happening more often lately.

I'm reluctant to go to performances or go very far afield for the time being as I spend time with Ollie and monitor his health. Rather than feeling like I'm missing something, I'm enjoying the time with my feline companion of nine years (adopted when he was two), or I should say enjoying the time when nothing bad is happening. There was a late night trip up to the emergency vet in Ellicott City last Tuesday when a particularly bad episode of blockage happened, accompanied by some weird low moaning I'd never heard before. On the gory side, these episodes of straining in the pan with little or no result sometimes trigger a vomiting reflex, and that happened this time, too. All we have to do is get things around the lymphoma tumor in his colon, and he's just fine. Thought he was dying on the way to the emergency vet, but after he was treated they let me see him stretched out so happy and relaxing in the post-treatment cage.

Cancelled chemo in Annapolis for him at the last minute late last week. Discussions with regular vets (no charge -- thanks!). Continuing prednisolone, two pills a day for the time being; switched from pumpkin to Miralax after the emergency vet episode; Lactulose on stand-by in case something extra is needed. (Pumpkin, plain puree, was moving things but turned out to be just another substance to get through around the tumor.) Miralax started working for the first time after about two days.

Ravenous at first about new prescription canned food -- was never allowed canned before because of his chronic IBD. Now his appetite fluctuates but he likes treats and small portions served on a spoon. If I can't get a pred pill into him because I have to crush it in his regular food, vets introduced me to Pill Pockets. Wow! A way to get a whole pill into him without any fuss. Unfortunately, he's crazy about the flavor and has been raiding the kitchen counter and maybe even less enthusiastic about the regular food.

Maintaining about 15 pounds. (17 pounds before, which was overweight.) Fur has not grown back where they shaved his tummy weeks ago to do ultrasounding before the cancer was diagnosed. A taste of chemo after all? (I read that cats don't lose fur during chemo but it can grow back slowly or not at all if shaved for any procedures.)

He still likes to go out on the patio for supervised outdoor time. I'm watching a lot of movies or listening to music, often with Ollie in my lap or on the ottoman -- something that had stopped for a while, so it's good to see that again.

Addendum, Mon., Nov. 21: Made a couple of corrections above. The emergency trip happened one night earlier than I recalled. Today, Miralax worked very well, and Ollie's appetite seems to be back up this evening. I gave him his second pill in a pill pocket any way -- we need to celebrate! (Oh, and they have to be the hypoallergenic Pill Pockets for him.)