Friday, September 9, 2011

A White Wine Perfect for Opera Cats

An Australian friend many years ago introduced me to sauvignon blancs from New Zealand's Marlborough wine region, and I've been a fan ever since. I like the crisp, slightly grassy flavor and pale greenish hue, though some descriptions mention fruit flavors. One I had at Clyde's here in Columbia a few weeks ago was as peachy as the menu description said and perhaps too peachy for me. (If it had been sold as something other than a sauvignon blanc, I might have liked it more!)

At the time in Australia, the one we were trying was Cloudy Bay's "sauv blanc". This would have been in 1987 or '88. My friend quoted an Aussie wine reviewer whose assessment (and she was admiring the wine) went something like this: "The bouquet reminds me of the gooseberry bush in the garden on a cold, frosty morning right after the cat has pissed on it."

Well, if that doesn't entice you, I don't know what will. Fortunately, Cloudy Bay is going strong still, and I just opened a chilled bottle of their 2009 sauv blanc found at the Perfect Pour in Howard County. (It has a screw top instead of a cork! Some good wines come with screw tops now.)

link to Cloudy Bay's site (There is a quick age check gateway where you enter birth date and country of residence before you get into the site.)