Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Weekend of Two Cities?

Cultural opportunities are drawing me in both directions in the I-95 corridor.

My ticket for Opera Vivente's run of "The Coronation of Poppea" in Baltimore is for next weekend, but I'm really liking these dress rehearsal photos posted on the OV blog. (The first performance was last night, and the second will be this Sunday afternoon.)

Today, I think I'll head down to the National Gallery of Art in Washington for the exhibit of Dutch cityscapes, which opened recently. The big Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibit closes in the middle of this month, so I might revisit it while I'm there.

This organ recital by Peggy Haas Howell on Sunday at 4pm at Baltimore's Peabody Conservatory also entices. On the very varied program: Who can resist something called "Tango-Toccata on a Theme by Melchior Vulpius"? (Adult tickets, $15 each.)

If the cityscapes at NGA don't overwhelm me, before Sunday's organ recital at the Peabody I could visit the Walters Art Musuem and have a look at some current exhibits. That one about the 13th century illuminated manuscripts of "The Romance of the Rose" written in Old French looks interesting.