Saturday, February 14, 2009

well, I might go to this concert instead

After harping about other concert opportunities this weekend, I noticed this one by the Peabody Camerata tonight at 7:30pm. It's contemporary music, or more recent at least: Babbitt, Carter, Britten, Barney Childs. And it's free.

Griswold Hall in the Peabody Conservatory, where this concert will take place, is itself a "jewel in the crown" of concert locations around Baltimore. This is on the same Monument Square (or Place) in Baltimore's Mount Vernon district as the Garrett-Jacobs Mansion discussed in my last post.

Classical music is dead, or in its death throes? Here I am choosing between three concerts in locations all within a metronome's throw of each other in downtown Charm City this weekend. Two of them could very well sell out, and one is free. And I'm looking ahead to the coming week and being careful not to spend too much on tickets or overwhelm myself with concerts.