Saturday, February 7, 2009

on my calendar: February into March

Here are some upcoming events which I don't want to miss, but I might not make it to all of them, and I might add to the list.

~~ First, tonight I plan to go to the concert by the Talich Quartet at Howard Community College (Columbia, Maryland), almost right next door to me, in the Candlelight Concerts series. Web site says there are still tickets available ($29 for adults). (See Candlelight Concerts in my links list.)

~~ I'll also make a note that baritone John Dooley, soprano Theresa Bickham and the McDaniel College Gospel Choir will be singing with the Columbia Orchestra nearby in the Jim Rouse Theater tonight. The orchestra will play film music, and the vocal part of the program is African-American spirituals. Dooley was an exquisite demon of lust, Ashmodeus, for Opera Vivente's production of Dove's "Tobias and the Angel" last year (and it's nice to see that he's not being type cast!).

~~ Feb. 15: The Monument Piano Trio most likely will draw a capacity crowd again in An die Musik's recital room next Sunday evening. I don't see a program announced anywhere yet, but it wouldn't be the first time I've attended one of the Monument's recitals without knowing the program in advance and come away musically fulfilled in spite of that.

~~ Feb. 19: Also on An die Musik's busy calendar is the Duo Transatlantique, classical guitarists Benjamin Beirs and Maude Laforest.

~~ Feb. 20, 21: Marin Alsop conducts the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in Charles Ives' "The Unanswered Question", Mozart's Symphony No. 29 and Saint-Saen's "Organ" Symphony.

~~ Feb. 26, 27: The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's program with guest conductor Peter Oundjian includes Benjamin Britten's "Four Sea Interludes" from his opera, "Peter Grimes". Cellist Daniel Mueller-Schott is the soloist for Dvorak's Cello Concerto, and Elgar's "Enigma Variations" close the program. (Part of this program will be a Casual Series concert that Saturday morning.)

~~ Mar. 6-14: Opera Vivente's production of Monteverdi's "The Coronation of Poppea" (in English). Please to enjoy Director John Bowen's posting of costume designer Jennifer Tardiff's sketches.

~~ Mar. 22: The Sundays at Three chamber series at Christ Episcopal Church here in Columbia only recently appeared on my radar. I'm interested in that recital by the Prometheus Chamber Ensemble on this date, and note other recitals involving musicians from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the Baltimore Chamber Orchestra. (Thanks go to the local free paper, Columbia Flier, for making me aware of this series.)

~~ Following from the BSO program above, Washington National Opera performs the complete Grimes this spring. (My ticket is for April 4.)